Raw foods are a healthy part of every diet, but did you know they can also improve your health and appearance? Vitamins, minerals, enzymes, and amino acids in fruits and vegetables are important components of a diet that contribute to glowing, youthful skin and thick, shiny hair. They also assist with the digestive process and fight chronic diseases. Because cooking produce destroys the majority of these elements, eating foods raw is most beneficial.
Some people even believe that raw food diets can remedy allergies and headaches, strengthen memory and immunity, and minimize the effects of diabetes and arthritis. It is also likely that raw dieters will lose weight, because so many raw foods are low in sodium, fat, and calories, and high in fiber.
When conforming to a raw diet, however, it is essential to ensure the consumption of enough calcium, iron, protein, and other vitamins and minerals, such as B12. Vitamin supplements can compensate for any gaps in the diet. Also, cooking does boost some nutrients, such as lycopene and beta-carotene. It also helps to avoid food poisoning by killing bacteria. For these reasons, some individuals prefer to eat only partially raw diets. Consider these raw food options:
- Blueberries. Blueberries contain powerful antioxidants that minimize the effects of aging. Their flavonoids may also protect from free radical harm, and skin cells are then protected from damage and disintegration.
- Leafy greens. Leafy greens, such as spinach, are rife with bioflavins, antioxidants, carotenoids, and Vitamins A, C, and B6. This powerful combination can significantly reduce the negative environmental impact on the skin. Spinach is particularly high in anti-inflammatory properties, helping to flush toxins out of the skin, and strengthens skin tissue. It can be easily consumed by blending into a green smoothie every day.
Minerals and Greens
The benefits of the minerals present in raw foods are also integral to maintaining healthy, vibrant skin. With nearly 100 percent of the body’s activities involving minerals, human biochemistry depends on them. The most important minerals for a healthy appearance include:
- Zinc, which helps rebuild collagen.
- Potassium and Magnesium detoxify and cleanse.
- Silicon strengthens nails, skin, and hair.
- Iron improves circulation and brightens skin tone.
Green plants are the primary sources of the most essential minerals as well as amino acids and vitamins necessary for building protein. It they are consumed abundantly and with variety, they will produce the greatest results. It is optimal to eat them raw, because some cooking methods reduce both mineral and vitamin content. The greens with the most beauty minerals include cucumber, bok choy, rocket, radicchio, romaine lettuce, dandelion, celery, broccoli, Swiss chard, watercress, kale, wheatgrass, and mustard greens. For an even better mineral content, choose organic greens. These are grown in organic soil, which boasts a higher mineral content than traditional farming soil. Consider the following tips for increasing green intake:
- Drink something green every day. Blend or juice fruits and vegetables together. They enhance energy, improve appearance, and facilitate weight loss. Common drink ingredients include cucumber, spinach, celery, and apple.
- Begin every meal with raw plant foods. Eat a salad, or perhaps some raw celery sticks, before mealtime. This will maximize enzyme intake, which aids digestion and leads to feeling fuller faster due to fiber content.
- Eat raw sauerkraut. Sauerkraut consists of raw cabbage that has been chopped and stored at room temperature – in an airtight glass container – for several days. The result is a food rich in probiotics, as well as minerals and enzymes. Store-bought sauerkraut is often less healthy because it is loaded with salt and stored at warmer temperatures, so homemade is the better option.
The benefits associated with raw diets are not limited to those listed above. The temptation to overeat is much less problematic when it involves raw fruits, nuts, and vegetables, for instance. Eating as much as possible rarely results in feeling tired or weighed down. There is less cleanup because there is no need to clean dirty pots, pans, and other cookware during preparation. This saves water and other energy resources as well. Another environmentally friendly benefit is evident in the lack of trash produced. Eating raw results in less packaging – aside from various biodegradable peels.
The vitamins, enzymes, minerals, and amino acids found in raw fruits and vegetables are essential to physical health and the appearance that comes with it. Because they are high in fiber, they ease the digestive process. For this reason, and the fact that raw foods tend to be low in calories, sodium, and fat, they expedite weight loss. A stronger immune system and memory are also benefits, along with their abilities to ease the effects of arthritis and diabetes. That they are vital to the maintenance of smooth, glowing skin and shiny, thick hair is an added bonus. If you are embarking on a path to a new you through a raw diet, round it out with supplements from our line of products at Flawless Beauty and Skin.